Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Eminence coax 15 with Altec 806 driver?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Albert Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    20
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't possibly afford Altec 604's being a mere mortal but I had an idea and wanted to see if it might work.

    Eminence makes a 15" driver that is setup as a coaxial with a 1" throat and a short aluminum horn behind the woofer dust cap.
    My question is: if I adapt my 802's or 806's to mate to this woofer do you think I might get a little taste of the 604? Please no one chew me up here, I am just trying to get a taste of the lengendary 604 type sound without having to mortgage the house to do it. If someone has a better "cheap" idea to experience point source I would be glad to hear it.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jim D's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    155
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Of course you can do this. It will work far better than using other new drivers that cost less than the used 806. The Eminence, yes they are great values for the $, do not have the fidelity, detail and nice low end of the 604, but it would be something you could do. An alternative would be to find a good used 616-8A CoAx. These are really nice sounding and do not command the price of the 604. Another way would be to get an 950-8A--- 8A, not 8B, ALTEC ceiling speaker. These have essentially a 909 driver on the back of an EV DL15X woofer with an odd horn. They still sound pretty good. The 8B model is all EV and has their little 2012 titanium driver on them, not near as good. But if you must, the Eminence is a way to go. JIM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member daman's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    I see you have to do the same thing i had to do. i my self couldn't afford such a woofer for my altec 15's that i use for deejaying. so i desided to go to a new woofer that is called Eminence loud speaker. You can buy these woofers from a place in waterloo ont canada, called Mcbride loudspeakers. i have delt with them in the pass and nothing but first class service and products. i my self say go for it and buy the Eminence loudspeaker. And yes they do sounds good. but becareful. if it alot of bass your looking for better look for anothere source of woofer, because i know mine don't but out a hole lot. But if it's alot of midrange your looking for these do it.
    P.S i only payed 400 dollers canadian for my woofers and there 12 inch..300 watts...8 ohms..good luck in your hunt! forums
    Troy (Deejayhotmix)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member JanH's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Albert Allen:
    [QB]I can't possibly afford Altec 604's being a mere mortal but I had an idea and wanted to see if it might work.

    Hi Albert

    The Eminence is good for this purpose- the Fane 15"HE is also a reasonably priced coax loudspeaker 100DB/1watt what is better built and better sounding. I use the Fanes with a Pair of 808-8A with alu diapraghms -and I think the result is amazing. Coherence -resolution and dynamics are very good.
    Could be fun to try the real thing being af course the 604?s.....

    Succes..!

    Rgds Jan

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2003
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've used Eminence Kappa 15's (not the pro, LF )in 2-way A7 setup with 806/811-B's and for the price this setup is worth every penny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.